The objective of the OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Management qualification is to provide learners with an in-depth understanding of the operations and structure of businesses.
The qualification will provide learners with the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills associated with business activities. It will prompt research, investigation and review of aspects of business which include Business Communication, The Business Environment, People Management, Customer Service, Finance and Marketing.
After completing OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Management a learner should be able to demonstrate and/or work with:
Knowledge and Understanding
- An appreciation of the body of knowledge that constitutes a discipline of business.
- A range of knowledge, facts, theories, ideas, properties, materials, terminology, practices and techniques about, and associated with, business , its functions and its context.
- Apply knowledge, skills and understanding using some of the basic, routine practices, techniques to address set situations and/or problems related to the business management of organisations.
- Relating field of business, functions of business, industries, sector to a range of practical and/or commonplace applications.
- Obtain, organise and use factual, theoretical and/or hypothetical information in drawing conclusions and suggest solutions to business organisations.
- Use a wide range of skills, such as ICT, basic analysis of range of numerical and graphical data and effective written and oral communication.
- Take responsibility for carrying out a range of activities where the overall goal is clear, under non-directive supervision.
- Exercise some supervisory responsibility, work in teams, evaluate the work of others and make use of limited resources efficiently.
Successful completion of this qualification will support learners progressing to university, and to provide learners with the requisite skills and knowledge to enter the world of work in their chosen sector.
The OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Management qualification can be offered to learners from age 16. OTHM does not specify entry requirements for these qualifications, but delivery centres are required to ensure that learners admitted to the programme have sufficient capability at the right level to undertake the learning and assessment.
OTHM Centres must ensure learners are recruited with integrity onto appropriate qualifications that will:
- meet their needs
- enable and facilitate learning and achievement
- enable progression
English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in our website www.othm.org.uk.
OTHM qualifications at Level 3 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to GCE AS/A Levels.
The OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Management qualification consists of 6 mandatory units making a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 480 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Communication for Business (20 credits)
- The Business Environment (20 credits)
- People Management (20 credits)
- Customer Service (20 credits)
- Finance in Business (20 credits)
- Marketing (20 credits)
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Successful completion of the OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Management provides learners the opportunity for a wide range of academic progressions including the OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Business Management.
As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), many universities acknowledge the ability of learners after studying the OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Management and may consider them for direct entry into a range of their Bachelor’s degree programmes. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.