Functional Skills English qualifications are designed to give learners the skills to operate confidently, effectively and independently in education, work and everyday life. They have been created in response to employers’ perceptions that many learners are not achieving a sufficiently firm grounding in the basics.
Who is it for?
- This course is ideal if you wish to improve your fluency in English for everyday life and to help you with progression within the qualifications, especially into Functional Skills Level 1 and Level 2.
- The Guided learning hours is 55 hours for each course respectively.
- Students on the programme will be at least 18 years of age.
- There are no formal requirements entry requirements however, you will be assessed to ensure this course is suited to your needs.
What will you learn?
- Speaking, Listening and Communication – participate in and understand the main points of simple discussions/exchanges about familiar topics with another person in a familiar situation.
- Reading – Read and understand short, simple texts that explain or recount information.
- Writing – Write short, simple sentences.
- Spelling Tests – Multiple choice test.
How it is assessed?
The awarding and certification of this qualification will comply with the requirements of the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual). The qualification will be awarded as a pass or fail. The result for a learner who fails to reach the minimum standard for a pass to be awarded will be recorded as U (unclassified) and will not be certificated.
Learners could progress from this award to:
- Functional Skills qualification in English (Entry-3)
- other related qualifications.